How old does my child need to be for me to use the Buncombe PreK application site?
- Children must be 4 years of age by August 31 of the current school year to apply.
Can I apply if my child does not have an updated physical and/or immunization record?
- Yes, but please request these from your doctor NOW--it often takes time to get the documents or make a doctor's appointment.
What documents do I need to submit to complete my online pre-application?
- You will need to submit your child’s proof of age (birth certificate or medical records), and proof of family income (1040 tax forms, W2, or a full month’s pay stubs). Additional documentation may include: any other income, such as child support, alimony, retirement; Social Security (SSI/SSA/SSDI), WorkFirst/TANF; SNAP letter; your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP); and court guardianship orders/custody agreements.
How much does it cost to enroll my child?
- NC-Prek and Head Start cost eligible families nothing to participate. They are state and/or federally funded high quality early education programs that aim to enhance children’s school readiness. Each program has specific income and other eligibility requirements.
What are the Income Requirements?
- Follow the link to our Programs & Eligibility page for each program’s eligibility requirements. You can use the Buncombe Pre-K pre-application even if you aren't sure which program(s) you are eligible for.
Are income and age the only factors considered for enrollment?
- No, additional consideration (even if not income eligible) is given to children who have an identified disability, speak limited or no English, have a chronic health condition, and/or have a developmental or educational need.
What are the hours offered?
- Each site may have different hours of operation, but the programs are offered for 6 ½ hours a day for 10 months (similar to K-12 school hours). Programs are located at public schools, private child care programs, and Head Start centers. Limited options for wrap-around care (before/after school care) are available. In the pre-application, where you indicate your first/second/third site choices, there is a link to a document that lists the hours of each site, along with the availability of wrap-around care and transportation.
Can I apply for child care for my younger child/children using Buncombe PreK?
- No, the Buncombe PreK applications is for children who will be 4 years of age by August 31 of the current school year. If you need care for your younger children, follow the link to our Programs and Eligibility page, where Early Head Start and Mountain Child Care Connections are explained.
Is there a cutoff date for applications?
- Applications are accepted throughout the year, but you should apply before August 1 for the best chance at starting the school year with a placement.
Is transportation available?
- Head Start and Asheville City Schools provide limited transportation. In the application, where you choose your site choices, there is a link to a document that lists the hours of each site, along with the availability of transportation. There may be some extra supports for families who need help with transportation.
Who do I contact for further questions?
PreK Outreach and Enrollment Coordinator
*In-person office hours will be available soon (as COVID-19 allows)
Or go to our Contact Us page for our full contact list.